Monday, April 4, 2011

Homemade Potato Gnocchi



Its gnocchi day!!!! I think only “ice cream time” makes me happier (yes, I do have an ice cream time every day :P ), but i'll let you know about that another day.
Out of all the pasta I’ve tried in my life, I don’t think I’ve ever found one that is - -> if made well <- - as fluffy, soft, melt in your mouth amazing as gnocchi.
The funny thing is, when I go out to eat Italian food I never order my own gnocchi dish, I push someone else to get it and I steal some from them. I do this for two important reasons:   
1) I am very picky about my gnocchi and if they don't come out how I like them (ill describe below) then I won't enjoy them and i'll be very sad!!
2) If they are amazing, then ill eat my whole plate (and if you've ever been to an Italian restaurant you know that it's enough for me and ½ the world) and then steal some from my neighbors plate (i wouldn't fit through the door of the restaurant if i do this alllll the time!!!)
I think i am being reasonable (and smart :) ), you decide. 
Making gnocchi isn't as hard as a lot of people think. There are a few tricks to ensure success and if you know them, you are golden (or FLUFFY :) ).
A good gnocchi should melt in you mouth when you eat it, it shouldn't be tough or rubbery. What determines the texture of the gnocchi is the amount of flour you incorporate into it and how much you handle it when putting together the dough. DON'T WORRY! I will give you a few tricks later on : )
Size wise I would say the SMALLER the better, but that depends on everyone's own personal taste.
Here is a simple recipe and helpful (hopefully) tricks for you to try:

- >You will need - >
2 Pounds of Potatoes
1 Large Egg (lightly beaten)
1 Cup of Flour (we wont use all of it at once)
Salt (about 1TBS)
***You can also add 1/4 C of grated Parmesan cheese. (If so, then you use a bit less flour)***


Let’s get STARTED!!

-First Step: Cook your washed potatoes, with the skin on, in simmering water for about 45 minutes (poke them with a fork and if it comes out easily, they are READY!!). Remember to start your potatoes in cold water and bring it up to a simmer, don't boil them.
When they are done, peel the potatoes while hot and put them through a potato ricer (be careful because they will be very hot, but you can't wait until they are cold because they will get hard and starchy looking)
Let the riced potatoes rest and cool down for about eight minutes.
It Looks Just Like Rice

-Second Step: After the potatoes have slightly cooled, set them on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle half the flour, salt and the egg on top. Incorporate the ingredients, I use my hands (LIGHTLY FLOURED) but you can use a fork instead.
At this point it should start feeling more like dough. If it still feels very sticky and crumbly, add the rest of the flour (a little at a time) until you achieve a manageable dough.
Try not to use all the flour because if you add too much, then the gnocchi will be hard and rubbery, but if not enough flour, then it will fall apart in the cooking process.
*** Trick: my trick is to have a pot of slowly boiling water on the stove so that when I think I have added enough flour, then I can test a pinch of the dough and cook it off to see if it works well. REMEMBER IT'S ALWAYS BETTER if you NEED MORE FLOUR because you can't take any out if you have too much already!!***
TEST - LOOK! IT'S FLOATING!


-Step Three: Cut the dough into small portions. 

Roll each portion into ropes, moving from the center out.

Cut the rope into small segments and (using a fork or a gnocchi board) make small ridges by rolling the dumplings with your thumb. If you don’t want to make ridges then just make a little dent on the segment with your finger.
Thank you mom for my gnocchi board!!


Set the rolled gnocchi’s on a lightly floured sheet pan or parchment paper until ready to use, cover them with plastic or a towel so they don’t develop a crust.

TO COOK:

Bring a large pot of salty water to a slow boil. Gently add the gnocchi’s (I would add a few at a time). 
MY FAVORITE PART --- > The gnocchi will let you know when they are done!! the minute they are ready they float to the top. 
When they come to the surface, drain them out and add them to your favorite sauce!
Enjoy your lovely Gnocchi's!!
Eat away!!!!

3 comments:

  1. uff! i love gnocchis.. haznos a mi y a pepe con pesto! jeje.
    i recognize those flower bowls.. i feel important! haha
    Lele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, believe it or not, I don't think that I have ever had gnocchi's!!! Actually, I really didn't know what they were. Now after reading the recipe I am pretty sure I will love them, and you sure make it sound easy to do. If I do, I will let you know how they turn out. BTW, what kind of sauce do you like on them? Tia Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. muchachita! cuando quieras!! u are important:D
    tia: you should make it!! they are so good!!! i love it with tomato sauce but you could do anything from pesto, bechamel to butter/sage sauce!

    ReplyDelete